Inyan Kara Chapter
Training New Leaders Since 1921
The lnyan Kara Chapter was organized April 30, 1921, in Newcastle, Wyoming, by Mrs. Jesse Berry Webster, organizing regent and first chapter regent. The chapter consisted of eight resident members and twelve non-resident members. The chapter was named after lnyan Kara Mountain located approximately 40 miles west of Newcastle.
The Inyan Kara Chapter currently has 29 members who support education by sponsoring an outstanding American history student and DAR Good Citizens from five local schools; support Americanism and historic preservation by co-hosting naturalization ceremonies; and actively support our veterans through various activities. Maxine Kaul was recently honored for her work with the Wyoming Historical Society as well as the Inyan Kara Chapter, NSDAR.
The Inyan Kara Chapter membership proudly includes two Daughters who serve as state committee chairs.
Newcastle became a city September 10, 1889, when the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad arrived to export coal from the Cambria Coal Mine. Before the mine closed in 1928 oil had been discovered, and with it came the refineries, including the still existing Wyoming Refining.
With a population of about 3,500, Newcastle is located in Weston County in Northeastern Wyoming, known as the “Western Gateway to the Black Hills.” Newcastle is also home to the Weston County Fair in late July.
Gillette was incorporated on January 6, 1892, less than two years after Wyoming became a state. The city was named after Edward Gillette, who worked as a surveyor for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. With a population of about 32,000, it is the county seat of Campbell County, located in the Powder River Basin between the Big Horn Mountains and the Black Hills; 75 miles west of Newcastle.
Gillette is home to the LORAN-C transmitter, a high guyed radio mast that is the tallest structure in Wyoming; The Wyoming Center, a 9,000 seat arena; the Campbell County Recreational Center, a 190,000 square foot facility that includes a 42-foot climbing wall resembling the Devils Tower National Monument; and the Energy Capital Sports Complex which is Wyoming’s premier softball facility.