Elizabeth Ramsey Chapter
Training New Leaders Since 1925
The chapter is honored to bear the name of Elizabeth Ramsey, a young woman whose father and brothers served with General Washington at Valley Forge. Visiting them, she saw the need for clothing and comfort. Upon her return home, she organized the women of her community into an aid society to knit caps and mittens for the men of the camp. She fearlessly carried the articles to the men at Valley Forge, making her trips at night to avoid the British camped along the roadside.
The National Board of Management approved the Elizabeth Ramsey Chapter on April 18, 1925. Currently, there are 32 members, eleven of whom live out of state. The membership includes eight ladies who live in Wheatland, and numerous ladies who drive from as far as 87 miles to attend the monthly meetings.
Chugwater celebrates the annual Wyoming State Chili Cook-Off on the Saturday before Father’s Day. It was started in 1986, and has historically been organized by all volunteers. Proceeds from the event go to local non-profit groups including: the Fire and Ambulance, Historical Unity Group, Housing and Economic Development, and the Community Center.
Wheatland hosts the Platte County Fair and Rodeo, where children have the opportunity to show their livestock and other crafts and handwork, and many qualify for the Wyoming State Fair held in Douglas. The chapter members have participated in the quilt competition with many first, second, and third places being awarded. First place winners are eligible to participate in the Wyoming State Fair.
Interesting places to visit in the area include: Oregon Trail Ruts National Landmark, Register Cliffs, including names of many immigrants who followed the Oregon Trail, and Fort Laramie National Historical Site, a military post on the Oregon Trail that was in operation from June 16, 1849 to March 2, 1890. Other interesting historic sites along the Oregon Trail are designated with historical markers; including the Horseshoe Creek Pony Express and U.S. Military Telegraph and Stage Station near Glendo which was built in 1860, and the recently marked Box Elder / Alder-Clump Meadow burial site.