Advancing the Legacy Since 1925
Washakie Chapter was organized by seventeen ladies on January 15, 1925, and the charter was accepted by the National Society on February 5, 1926. The chapter name was selected to recognize the importance of Chief Washakie, the leader of the Shoshone Tribe that first discovered the Hot Springs that are located in Thermopolis.
Through the years Washakie Chapter has taken part in the “Gift of the Waters Pageant” that is presented on the first weekend in August. The pageant was written by Marie Montabe and first presented in 1925. Ms. Montabe gave the rights to the pageant to Washakie Chapter, and the members continue an active role in presenting the pageant each year. The pageant includes songs, dances, and narrative by members of the Shoshone Nation and Thermopolis residents.
The 30 members of the chapter are also very involved with Constitution Week, supplying information to local schools and throughout the community. The chapter gathers gifts for patients at the Sheridan VA Medical Center to send annually, and supports local and national veterans.
Thermopolis, home of the world’s largest mineral hot spring, is a small town located along the Big Horn River near the mouth of the Wind River Canyon. Thermopolis was incorporated in 1896 as a ranching community, and later became the center for a number of oil fields.
Outdoor activities attract many visitors annually, including Hot Springs State Park; Legend Rock area west of Thermopolis has a large collection of petroglyphs; Wyoming Dinosaur Center offers both viewing of complete dinosaur specimens and the adventure of digging; and The Wind River and Big Horn River offer both fishing and raft rides.